Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Grimm Family Adventures

We've been here about a month so far and it is nice to finally start to feel a little settled.  The end of my pregnancy and the newborn stage with Aaron was all so stressful for the last few months since everything was chaotic with moving and making big decisions and traveling around.  It is so nice to finally have things calm down a bit and be able to get in a routine with Aaron.

The area that we live in seems to be really nice.  Maryland is so much different than any place I have ever been.  It is absolutely filled with trees and so so green.  It is beautiful!  However, it does take some getting used to.It's hard for me to find my way around and get a sense of direction here because to me it all looks relatively the same and you cannot really see landmarks on the highways (and sometimes even the roads) because it is all so wooded.  There are lots of walking paths near us that run through different neighborhoods and I have really been enjoying doing that with Aaron most mornings.  There are also at least two small lakes that I know of near us that are fun to walk around as well.  

This is a really nice walking trail in one of the neighboring neighborhoods (about 7 minutes away from our place probably).  It feels like you are in the mountains or somewhere in the country even though you are so close.

At a little lake near us.  Behind us is the more downtown area of Columbia (the city we live in).  They have a lot of restaraunts near this lakefront, paddleboats on the weekends, concerts, dancing, etc.

We've seen so much wildlife near us in the city.  I always see bunnies and squirrels on my walks and often I see deer.
Another one of the nearby lakes.  This one is more like a park with a nice playground, fields, walking paths, bike trails, fishing, etc.


We live probably about 30 minutes to an hour away from Washington DC (depending on traffic) so we've been able to have some fun Saturdays so far as well.  There is so much to explore in Washington DC so even though we've been there a few times we still have so much more to see.  It's nice that we don't feel like we have to see it all in a day.  That way when it's hot or Aaron needs a break we can just go home and come back another day!
The National Monument.

I can't remember now exactly, but I think this was at the Jefferson Memorial.  We didn't want to climb all those steps with the stroller so this is as close as we got.  Definitely need to remember to bring the baby carrier for that next time.

At the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.  We only did the first floor this time and are excited to go back.

The Smithsonian Castle


So funny story....the first time we went to DC David wanted to go to "The Smithsonian".  We were walking around looking for "it" until we realized it was a collection of a BUNCH of different museums.  Haha, so funny.  Good thing we didn't ask for directions.  So far we've been to the American History Museum and the Natural History Museum.  Next on my list is the Holocaust Museum and the Art Museums/Sculpture Gardens.  I love museums and I am the type of person that will look at and read almost everything in the exhibitions so it takes us quite a bit of time to stroll through even one wing.  The best part of DC is that it's all (mostly) free!  

We also live about 20-30 minutes from downtown Baltimore.  Last weekend we went to Baltimore's "Inner Habor".  Baltimore was so much different than I expected it to be.  I thought it would be dirty, dangerous, slummy looking, etc.--but it isn't at all (at least not where we were anyway).  It was so clean and beautiful and felt so nice to walk by the water.  It actually reminded me a lot of San Diego's harbor area and it was nice to be in a place that felt a little bit like home.  There are paddle boats, water taxis, maritime museums, old ships, shops, restaurants, a large aquarium and a few museums down here too.  We are excited to go back and do some of those things in the coming weekends.

It is so much cooler to walk down by the water with that nice breeze!

The old ships really remind me of SD.  I like Baltimore because it felt a little more like something I am used to.



As I am proofreading this I am realizing that I have the same outfit on in all of these pictures.  Haha!  I guess I only have a few outfits I like to wear right now.  #momlife #postpartum #nursing

And for good measure here are some pictures of my cute baby because what's a blog post without that?
He spits up a lot--hence the burp cloth tucked like a bib.  We've always got to make sure we've got clean burp cloths handy.




This kissy face cracks me up!











4 comments:

  1. Ok that alert newborn pic of him! I'm in love!! and that comment about wearing the same shirt!! Classic and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to read about your move. And such beautiful landscape in Maryland. Cute baby pictures ! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just your adventure outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just your adventure outfit :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com